Monday, October 6, 2008

Farmers' Market Delivery

I read about an interesting local service. Auntie Em's Organic Produce and Dinner Delivery delivers seasonal produce from local farmers and farmers' markets. I've always wondered why no one does this. Locally, there are so many farmers' markets, but the best are the ones held during the week. If you work, you can't go. What's more, unless you go religiously, you don't have the opportunity to learn about the produce and farmers, you can't ask questions about recipes and seasonality, and as a result you can't develop relationships that help you get the best food. It seems to me that a service like this has the potential of working their wisdom and connections to get you the best food.

I've always found that organic food from the FM is cheaper than organic food from the grocery store. This leaves a good deal of earnings potential for this kind of service. Based on their sample listing of food and the prices I'm used to, it seems to me like this service tacks on a hefty premium for their efforts. That said, local food is fresher, which means it'll last longer in your fridge. There's a lot to be said about that.

While you'd be better off going to the FM yourself, this is a close runner up. If you get a chance to try it, let me know how it goes.

0 comments: