Monday, October 27, 2008

More U.S. Kids Growing Up Bilingual

I heard a piece on the radio today:
More U.S. kids growing up bilingual

Someone mentioned Language Lizard as a good source for dual language books, as well as audio books of stories in other languages. And if you're looking for a good reason to teach your kids a second language, how about this: research shows that it helps stave off dementia in later years.

Best to start 'em young!!

I still talk to MetaBoy in Spanish, though admittedly not as continuously as I'd like. We do try to get in a book in Spanish most days. His current choice is Ocho Monitos (Eight Monkeys). He definitely learns at a greater pace these days. However, given his greater exposure to English, with some Spanish thrown in for good measure, understanding him can be a bit challenging. It doesn't help that he is now listening to and repeating what he hears on the radio. One day, I caught him saying "get up, stand up." I only realized what he was saying when I heard Bob Marley in the background on the radio.

0 comments: