Tuesday, April 1, 2008

1970s Cooking

If this is what light and healthy food looked like in the 1970s, it's no wonder I grew up with such a negative view of it. Seriously, this thing looks vile.

As I search around for new cookbooks with vegetarian options, I was led several times to the Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen, originally published in 1977. I finally checked it out at the library, and was pleasantly surprised. The book is very fun, with loads of drawings, and written out by hand. It feels so personal...like someone's journal. And with outrageous recipes like pesto, vegetable walnut pate, noodle kugel, mushroom moussaka, apple-honey custard pie, it's tempting, no? The funny thing is that a lot of the recipes seem so familiar now that I'm wondering how much this recipe book has influenced those that followed.

I haven't tried any recipes yet, but it looks promising. Wish me luck :-)

0 comments: