Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Week in Review

Well, maybe not a whole week, but I need to just get it all off my chest while it's fresh.
  • I got a papercut that was blindingly painful. The thing about papercuts is that they mildly freak me out, especially after watching Swimming With Sharks. A quick, sharp, searing pain that can be caused by something as mundane as opening an envelope. I'm so paranoid about them that I haven't had one in ages. Years? So when I got one this past weekend, I...well, I squealed. Possibly screamed. It really hurt!! I'm pretty sure I saw blood!! Anyway, my point is that sometimes people get papercuts, and despite being so trite, we can't help but share our pain. Hence, I, like Madame X, am sharing my pain.

  • As you read the following, keep in mind that MetaDaddy has been away all week on business. It couldn't be avoided, and though he suggested coming back early, I insisted he stay because of a presentation he'd been working on all month.

  • MetaToddler got sick on Saturday and couldn't keep any food down. But as I posted here, he was much better on Sunday. It's funny how when you don't appreciate the delicate nature of a toddler's stomach, it can come back to bite you. So Monday afternoon, he got sick again. And the water and bland diet started once again. The tiniest amount of water every 45 minutes. After doing that twice, he was noticeably hungry, so I gave him some dry toast, of which he only had half. This from a tiny little guy who can eat a 6-inch pita bread with hummus as a snack, then eat dinner. Needless to say, I didn't push more on him. He went to bed and slept through the night.

  • That night, wouldn't you know it but I found out for sure that he had a stomach bug as opposed to having eaten something dodgy. I was sick all night. I woke up every hour starting at 2:30 until about 7:30. Honestly, I probably should have just gotten up since I suspect I was more nauseous while lying down than sitting up.

  • Tuesday was a sad day indeed with me despondently lying on the sofa with the TV on to distract MetaToddler from the kitchen. He kept going in asking for food, but he didn't know what he wanted. Crackers, bananas, toast, and rice were mostly just sprinkled all over the floor. We didn't go out at all, and though I felt terrible at not even taking him out for a walk or short drive, I genuinely didn't have the energy. So, we just quietly rode the day out, and I suspect he finally learned that he can climb the sofa on his own. Darn!

  • Today we're better, but still taking it easy. Had to cancel some plans, and will probably cancel plans for tomorrow since I hear a stomach bug can last at least 3 days after recovery per the CDC:
    "People infected with norovirus are contagious from the moment they begin feeling ill to at least 3 days after recovery. Some people may be contagious for as long as 2 weeks after recovery. Therefore, it is particularly important for people to use good handwashing and other hygienic practices after they have recently recovered from norovirus illness."
    The last thing I want to do is get any of our friends sick!

  • All of my down time let me finally to finish "Mostly Martha." It's in German, which means reading, but eh...nice for a change. The story wasn't new, but it was a well-done chick flick without being too cutesy or schmaltzy. And the lead, Martina Gedeck, was really well cast. She's a perfectionist head chef at a fancy restaurant, and her career is her life until her sister dies in a car accident, leaving Martha to care for her 8-year-old niece until her father can be found. When a confident new chef is hired to replace her very pregnant sous chef, she struggles to maintain order in her once seamless life. It was recently remade here as "No Reservations" with Catherine Zeta-Jones and Aaron Eckhart, which didn't strike me as interesting as the original. Honestly, they seldom are. If I'm feeling daring one day, maybe I'll watch to compare.
Enough whining. It can only get better from here, right? OMG...I hope MetaDaddy doesn't get sick!!! Note to MetaDaddy: DON'T. TOUCH. ANYTHING.

0 comments: