Monday, March 3, 2008

Book Club: Yays and Woes

I like my book club. It's an opportunity to get together with a bunch of relatively like-minded women with interesting perspectives, pursuits, and backgrounds. Our reactions to books are generally all over the place, when we all manage to read the novel in question, that is. It makes for fun debates. And inevitably, we meander through topics ranging from politics to tabloid gossip to chocolate.  Always chocolate.

I felt a bit guilty not reading this month's selection, but I got a bit distracted. We had 6 weeks between meetings, and I kept thinking "I have loads of time." Then, I was down to two weeks. Then one. My only vindication was in knowing that the book was truly depressing, and as such, I probably wouldn't have finished it. I'm not good with depressing topics these days ;-)

Moving right along, I've decided to get cracking and get the selection for this month, "Places to Stay the Night" by Ann Hood. No, not a travel guide, silly. Unfortunately, my local library doesn't carry it. And since it's out of print, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Borders, and the author's website don't carry it new, though some do carry it used. Yes, used is cheaper. However, it's the worst of both worlds, isn't it? Used AND not free. Even worse, if it turns out that I don't like it, it'll find it's way to my bookshelf until I manage to expunge it from my collection. Funny enough, if I do end up liking it, it'll be gone in no time because I'll be excited to share it with others.

The cost of literacy and socializing, I suppose :-P

0 comments: