Saturday, March 29, 2008

Photoshop Express

Photoshop Express is Adobe's most recent attempt to hook consumers who aren't willing to drop a bundle on their popular Photoshop software.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm terribly excited to. The thing is, I like taking and sharing pictures, but I'm just not as good at it is I'd like to be. The few great photos I've taken have been merely accidents. I assure you. I can use all of the Photoshop-type help I can get.

Here's what they offer:
"There's nothing sadder than a photo without a home. You hate to see that. Give your photos a free ride with Photoshop Express. just sign up, then start uploading, polishing and showing off up to 2 GB of photos on our dime."
Well...unsettling news: Complaints trigger rewrite of Photoshop Express terms

Specifically, Adobe would be granted "...royalty-free, nonexclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully sublicensable license to use, distribute, derive revenue or other remuneration from, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, publicly perform and publicly display such Content..." blah blah. That hardly sounds like something I want with my photos.

Well, MetaDaddy's first reaction was "That wasn't Adobe's intention." Something about the aggressive nature of contracts paired with the ever-changing nature of technology allows for misunderstandings. That is, the folks who make the software aren't always in sync with the folks protecting it. He called it a storm in a teacup. Precious, no?

Needless to say, Adobe and their lawyers fixed their little snafu. It's now safe to jump on board again :-D

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adobe announced that product the day AFTER I bought a copy of Photoshop from them. Grr. Let us know how that goes -- I'm curious if it does enough for most peoples needs.

Doesn't iPhoto have basic editing tools? There's supposed to be new and improved editing tools in the '08 version.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Okay, are you sure that is all fixed? I'm a member of some photography forums in which everyone is still bagging on that very clause (still to this very moment)!

MetaMommy said...

Ain't that always the way!!

I do have and use iPhoto. However, I find it very limited. I can do a few useful things like crop, straighten a crooked photo (new), touch up, and get rid of red eye. But all in very small doses. And I never found the red eye fix worked very well. It works better than it used to, but it doesn't get rid of all of the red about 50% of the time.

Since I have zero experience with Photoshop (Express or otherwise), I can't really compare. But I'd like to see if it's better than iPhoto at some stuff.

MetaMommy said...

You're right, MamaGeek. The change is in the works, but since when does stuff like this happen overnight? Per the Standard, "The terms of use clearly stated that Adobe didn't make a claim on ownership of the images, but the wording was sufficient to cause Adobe to take a look at the wording and promise changes."

So it's IP (in progress), and honestly, it's probably much ado about nothing at this point because they agree with users :-)

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

I can understand that - seems like it has great potential!