Saturday, March 8, 2008

French Laundry at Home

I have a few challenging cook books. I fell in love with each of them, which is obviously why I bought them. However, over time I've come to realize that following through with a complicated recipe is...well...complicated. You devote a lot of time, money, and energy in the simple act of shopping for groceries. In fact, I would only ever attempt these time consuming recipes on weekends back when it was just MetaDaddy and me. That was my free time. My me time.

Today, there is no me time.

Today, I got my eyebrows done. Feeling civilized once again, for a nominal fee. And I got 30 minutes where I didn't have to placate an annoyed male roommate.

(no offense, darlings)

Anyway, the marathon cooking and baking sessions from the days of yore are no more. Today, it's quick, simple, and tasty recipes, and even garnishes strike me as a bit too fussy and time-consuming. That said, a little chopped mint never hurt anyone.

Still, I look at blogs like this one and just read, and read, and read...in awe that someone would take the time to chop a "pineapple chop" (as in a pork or lamb chop), simply for the art of food. But I guess that's the challenge you set forth for yourself when you seek out to recreate the "French Laundry at Home."

Tomorrows Challenge at the MetaHome: Following through with pancakes. Ohh! Or maybe French Toast!!

0 comments: