Sunday, May 4, 2008

Stuff on the Huffington Post

I like reading the Huffington Post, but honestly, the number of daily posts can be a bit overwhelming. I read a few in a moment of madness, and here are some that jumped out at me.

2008 Tax Rebate Checks: What Does a Bush-Hating Liberal Spend Hers On? - OK, politics aside, I think she makes some interesting and novel suggestions on how to use your rebate checks. Personally, I like all three.

Activism Made Easy: Choosing UPS - We ship very few packages/envelopes, but after reading this, I think we'll be using UPS exclusively from now on. I had no idea Fed Ex is such an evil dictator of an *employer*. They save an estimated $400 million per year by treating their *employees* as independent contractors, who then have to purchase their own delivery trucks, insurance, fuel, tires, and maintenance. UPS, on the other hand, treats all of their *employees* as...well, as employees. Benefits, social security, and a truck with gas are some of the perks they get over Fed Ex workers.

I know I've had pretty mediocre customer service and delivery experiences with them in the past, and I wonder how much the treatment of their employees plays into that. On one occasion, I was informed by Fed Ex ground that they have no way of knowing when a delivery person will actually make a delivery, but they have until 10PM (or something like that...it was a while ago) to do so. So the delivery guy could show up at 9:30 and wake my barely sleeping infant, and that was my problem. Gee, thanks.

Sexualizing Miley: Are Billy Ray and Tish Cyrus Letting Her Be The New Lolita? - This reminds me of how much easier it was to be a kid when I was young. Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember being obsessed by confused pop idols or short, revealing clothes. My vice? Debbie Gibson vanilla (ya, ya...we all make mistakes). Personally, it scares me how obsessed young girls are with Hannah Montana, the Disney character played by Miley Cyrus. We know 6 and 7 year-old girls who idolize her, so the kind of adult behavior displayed in Vogue is jarring. These days, I'm constantly hearing from friends of how difficult it is to find non-scandalous clothes for young girls, nevermind dodging media messages. When an obviously under-aged celebrity poses provocatively for a magazine, is this something we want relayed to kindergarteners? Why didn't her parents prevent the shot from being approved for the layout? I would be fuming if someone took a shot like that of my *innocent* 15 year-old. Am I really supposed to believe that two people with such a vested interest in their child's career didn't get to approve the photos beforehand? Really?

0 comments: