Monday, June 11, 2007

AMO recalls contact lens solution

I've been wearing soft contact lenses for nearly 10 years, and I couldn't think of giving them up. There's so convenient and my vision coverage is so much better than with my glasses (i.e., peripheral vision). That said, I'm always a bit concerned when I hear about a contact lens solution recall. Most recently, Advanced Medical Optics Inc. (AMO) recalled Complete MoisturePlus contact lens citing infection risk, which is unfortunately the solution I use. CNN Money reported that "The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) interviewed 46 patients with Acanthamoeba keratitis, a rare but serious cornea infection, and found that of the 39 who wore soft contact lenses, 21 used Complete MoisturePlus." And just last year, Bausch & Lomb's ReNu with MoistureLoc was recalled after it was linked to keratitis.
I'm a numbers sort of person, so this data isn't enough to make me stop wearing my lenses, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for new studies and data.

1 comments:

MetaMommy said...

AMO has set up a recall hotline. Call ( 888) 899-9183 to leave your information and they will send you a kit within 3 weeks. I'll post more info once I receive the kit.