Friday, June 13, 2008

PhotoStory Friday: Debating Monks


Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek

Joining my ol' buddy MamaGeek in PhotoStory Friday. Ah, Friday mayhem :-)

We traveled to Lhasa, Tibet in 2004. There were many things to be said about the city, but one of the most intriguing to me were the monks. They were everywhere! It was such an interesting feeling. I don't know many (any) monks, but I always held them in a sort of reverence because they were so disconnected from the city life I know. It turns out they wear sneakers, use cell phones, and wander all over the city...just like real people. They were part of every day life.

Here's one exciting thing they do in Tibet. They debate. They gather in groups and debate religious issues, ending their point with a powerful *stomp* or *clap* to vanquish the evil perspectives. They were done with joy and excitement, not in a tedious or dire way. They enjoyed it so much, you'd hardly wonder if they were serious about their arguments at all! We consider ourselves truly fortunate to have been there to watch a few such exhibitions

I don't know how much has changed since we were there. I'm assuming a lot, but I'm hoping that it hasn't.

3 comments:

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Wow. This is certainly the most educational and interesting photostory this week. For some reason (since I know of no monks personally myself), I thought technology would have been taboo - let alone DEBATING. I'm so impressed you visited Tibet (that is also on our list of must-sees). WOW. Just wow.

And it goes without saying how thrilled I am that you played PSF. You know I heartcha. Thanks again, this was fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Amazing pic! And I'm embarrassed to say that I thought monks weren't allowed to talk? LOL Guess I'm quite wrong!

Working Mum said...

Fantastic! What a post. I would love to go to Tibet. How lucky you are and what a great photo.