Thursday, September 27, 2007

California's Unclaimed Property Search

In the state of California, unclaimed property goes to the state. The original intent was "for the State to both (a) safeguard lost property from being used by private interests for their own gain, and (b) reunite the lost property with their rightful owners." Items from safe deposit boxes, deposit checks, refund checks, etc. find their way to this database. Though I like to think I'm pretty good about keeping up on things like rebates and refunds, I like checking this website every now and then to make sure I'm not leaving any money on the table. I also like to check friend's names. If I find any, I email them the info so they can follow up. Feels good to do good, no? My most recent search yielded a find for 3 friends. Woo Hoo!

California's Unclaimed Property

Note: Our homeowners' association recently received a letter from the state regarding a refund check from an insurance company dating back 10 years. The name of the property owner was wrong, so there's really no way we would have found it. If you are a member of an HOA, or if you own/work for a company that might have unclaimed property, be sure to search under those names, too, as you never know what you might find.

0 comments: