Sunday, September 16, 2007

A Great Grater?

Cook's Illustrated has a few recommendations on box graters.

They highly recommended the Cuisipro Accutec Box Grater because it's ultra-sharp. However, readers found out the hard way that the grater has plastic pieces that cause it to fall apart after a few runs in the dishwasher. It turns out it wasn't dishwasher safe. The magazine contacted Cuisipro, and "the company will replace any box graters damaged by dishwashers. (Visit www.cuisipro.com for more information or call 302-326-4802.)"

Sharp is good, but only when the grater doesn't attack you in the process of grating.

They go on to list a few other box graters, including their second favorite (now their favorite) Oxo Good Grips Box Grater.

Personally, I've mangled my knuckles one too many times just opening drawers with box grater. So I got rid of ours and use a small, flat microplane grater like this one. I've debating getting another in order to have more grating options, and I'll sooner do that than buy a box grater again. Ouch!!

Cook's Illustrated's advice on cleaning a box grater:
"Graters coated with sticky residue from soft cheeses can be a chore to clean. If you don't have time or space to throw the grater in the dishwasher, rubbing a hard, stale crust of bread (such as the end of a baguette) over the dirty grater plate will remove most of the mess. To finish the job, scrub the grater in hot, soapy water."

1 comments:

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

I'm an Oxo junkie. I like the grips on all their stuff. A little pricier, but I think it's worth it!