Sunday, December 9, 2007

Baby Food: Raw Applesauce

I discovered a rather useful tip in making MetaBaby's food the other day.

MetaBaby likes apples and pears and such, but I really wish I could give them to him raw. Unfortunately, that would be a choking hazzard. A nurse at his 15 month visit suggested grating hard fruits like apples and pears. Some pears get nice and soft once they're ripe, but others (e.g., Asian pears) are as hard as apples.

I took this idea home and tried it the very first chance I got. I took a small, unpeeled (optional to take advantage of the fiber in the skin) organic apple and grated it with the closest grater I had handy, which happened to be a medium coarseness microplane grater. The result was a fresh, juicy apple sauce that could easily work for an infant's first or second stage of food. It's something that could be ready at a moments notice, which is great around hungry little lads like MetaBaby. I'll be experimenting with different levels of coarseness and playing with other foods like carrots and pears, so this should be a fun new game.

I wish I had known about this sooner, but I'm glad I know about it now.

Side note: You can do larger quantities as suggested by this recipe.

1 comments:

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Oooh, excellent idea. I love it when someone sheds the light for something so darn handy (and healthy).