Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Cooking Last Week

I'm excited about food these days. I get home from the farmers' market on a high, ready to start cooking. Unfortunately, MetaBaby goes for a nap after the market, so I have to bottle it up and keep quiet. Ah well...here I am.

Last week, in no particular order, we had the following:

Braised baby artichoke risotto - A bit time consuming, but worked out better than I expected. Even worked well as leftovers. Though I truly love artichokes, so I might be biased.

Chicken legs braised with tomatoes, onions, and garlic - This felt like home cooking at its best. Cooking time was close to an hour, but I'm sure it could be adapted to work with a crock pot or the like. We'll definitely do this one again.

Grilled Haloumi, salad, and cous cous - This was a really fast dinner because it cooks in no time. Haloumi is an interesting cheese that doesn't melt, so you can grill or BBQ it. In fact, it's a nice option for vegetarians if you're ever wondering what you can do other than grilled vegetables. The only flaw with this recipe is that it was hard to find. I tried Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Albertsons, and eventually found it at Bristol Farms. Keep in mind that it's very salty, so don't salt it or pay the price.

Cous Cous & Sautéed Vegetables - This is a quick and delicious stand-by recipe. I love getting tiny shiitake mushrooms from the farmers' market and just toss them in. No chopping makes the quick dish even faster. And it's a versatile recipe so you can add and subtract ingredients as desired.

3 comments:

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Wow, you are SO talented in the kitchen. I saw you used cous cous in the previous post. Do you know I don't even have any idea what that is?

Your husband is so farking lucky to have such a good cook for a wife!

MetaMommy said...

LOL...I'll probably hear a chuckle when he reads your comment ;-)

I love baking, but because it requires accuracy, it's much harder to do with someone nipping at your heels. So cooking works well as a substitute. And since the boys both love food, no arguments out of them.

Cous cous...I avoided it for ages because I didn't know what it was, too. It's a tiny little thing that looks like a grain, but it's made out of semolina like pasta. I get it at Trader Joe's, and it's seriously so easy to make. 1 cup water, 1 cup cous cous, some butter, and microwave for 3.5 minutes. Traditionally, it's a bit more labor intensive, but I'm fine with not being traditional :-)

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

if only you lived closer, so i could try your cous cous. just typing that 'cous cous', makes me giggle.