Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Recipe: Pasta alla Puttanesca

I was always against pasta alla puttanesca in restaurants because of the anchovies. I finally gave it a try, and the bold flavors left me craving more for weeks. You don't get "fishy," but a salty depth of flavor that works very well with it's neighbors.

I found this recipe in Alice Waters' cookbook The Art of Simple Food. I was struck by how easy it was, so I mustered up the courage to touch the anchovies. It should be noted that after dinner, the tin of remaining anchovies was sitting on the counter. My husband walked up...and ate them. Ewwww.....

The recipe was quick and painless. It's really too much for two, so we saved the rest for a future meal. Bonus meal!

Pasta alla Puttanesca
Makes about 2 cups

Pasta for 2

1/3 cup olive oil
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup tomato sauce
3 tablespoon capers, rinsed, drained, and chopped
1/4 cup pitted black olives, chopped
1/4 teaspoon (or more) dried chile flakes
1/4 cup chopped parsley
3 salt-packed anchovies, soaked, filleted, and chopped (I used anchovies packed in oil)

Cook the pasta per the packages' instructions.

Into a heavy saucepan over medium heat, pour the olive oil and garlic. When the garlic starts to sizzle, add everything but the anchovies and cook for 5 minutes. Add the anchovies and cook for a minute or two. Taste for salt and adjust as needed.

Remove half the sauce from the pan and add the pasta to the pan. Stir to coat and serve.

2 comments:

ChiefFamilyOfficer said...

Yum, I love puttanesca! I leave out the capers and add extra anchovies. For a special treat, get your husband a few of the really expensive ones from Whole Foods' deli counter - they are SO good!

MetaMommy said...

Hmmm...I might consider getting him some, but I'll have to stay away from ol' fish breath for a while after.

I like fish more than I used to, but I won't be trying one of those little guys without a lot of sauce to mask it any time soon ;-)