Monday, August 20, 2007

Recipes: Cauliflower

So, how do you like cauliflower? I was never that excited by it, but I tried a recipe recently per Nigella's side note in an episode of Nigella Bites. It wasn't a real recipe, just a suggestion, so we tried it out and came up with this.

Baked Cumin Cauliflower

1 head of cauliflower
Olive Oil
Ground Cumin

Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Cut up the cauliflower into small florets (I usually do this in advance and leave them in the fridge until ready). Spread them out on a baking sheet, drizzle little olive oil all over, then sprinkle on the ground cumin. Bake for about 40 minutes. They should be tender and golden.

Cook's Illustrated suggestions on cauliflower.

Shopping Notes: Buy head of cauliflower with tight, firm florets without any discoloration.

Cutting Cauliflower:
  1. Pull off outer leaves and cut stem flush.
  2. Cut head into 8 equal wedges so that core and florets remain intact.

2 comments:

ChiefFamilyOfficer said...

Yum! Cauliflower is one of our favorite veggies around here. I usually roast it but if I have the time, I'll make a pureed cauliflower that's better than mashed potatoes.

MetaMommy said...

We haven't tried that yet. I'll have to take that idea for a spin next time.
Thanks!