Friday, October 5, 2007

Counting Down for MetaDaddy

This week has been a struggle. MetaDaddy's out of town on business, so it's just the kid and me. Sigh.

Here's what's happened:
  • We've been getting over a cold, which mostly entails labored breathing, some sneezing, and snot everywhere. I know, lovely visual.

  • We decided to change MetaBaby's sleep schedule last week by dropping one nap. It's going pretty well, as long as he gets that one good nap. Unfortunately, he doesn't always work with me on that one.

  • We got a safety gate that divided the living room in half to block him off from certain areas, while allowing him some freedom. We didn't want a permanent gate, though, so we secured a non-mounted gate which doesn't have a door. It's just low enough for me to climb over. However, getting over it several times a day has proved to be quite a workout. I've been waking up sore as though I went to the gym. I know, I know...no pain, no gain. Well, I wasn't looking for gain, so along with everything else, all I am is sore and achy.

  • Yesterday (Thursday), MetaBaby got sick. It started in the afternoon after lunch. He didn't have a very long nap. He was cranky when he woke up. He seemed exhausted, and had a slight fever. I cuddled and nursed him for a bit. Then I got his dinner ready, which he didn't seem interested in. This was a red flag; he has never refused a meal. I gave him a few bites of his fruit dessert to entice him, and he seemed equally disinterested. He then drank some water and proceeded to throw up everything he'd eaten. I gave him his bath, nursed him (which I never do before he sleeps), and put him to bed. He fell asleep right away, but it was a light sleep. I checked on him a couple of times and his fever was almost gone, to my relief. However, at 11 it was back. So I woke him, gave him some Tylenol, and nursed him again. He fell asleep and woke up at 7:30, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. He seems fine today; back to being a bundle of energy. I don't know if it was teething, the banana at lunch, or some secretly consumed bug, but I'm glad it's over.

  • Feeling better about his health, we were going to go to the farmers' market today. Everything was ready, but I couldn't find my wallet. I know I had it in my hand last night and unless I thew it away with the garbage, it had to be somewhere. I thought I'd put it in my purse, but it wasn't there. I looked everywhere -- purse, diaper bag, between cushions, in magazines, in pockets & the hamper, in the washing machine & dryer. Eventually, I gave up and we went with some other money I had. I figured I was getting antsy and I wouldn't find it until I calmed down. We got back and MetaBaby was exhausted, so I put him down for his nap. I proceeded to think and look...think and look...think and look. It occurred to me that if I lose things now, how bad are things going to be when MetaBaby starts taking and playing with or hiding my keys, wallet, etc. Then, on a whim, I decided to check his toys. Guess where my wallet was!!! Grr. At least I found it, and I know the little klepto has it in him.
Counting down the hours for MetaDaddy's return.

2 comments:

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Yay for MetaDaddy's return! You poor thing had your hands full this week.

One nap? We recently went to 1 nap too. I resisted so much but now I get a good 2 hours straight (I don't think 2 hours is very much but I digress).

Hope you all feel better soon and that you get a nice big break upon his return! :)

MetaMommy said...

I'm planning all of the things that I'll do once he's back. Sleep in...take a shower...oh, the thought of it all!!