Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Chinese Goods in an American Market

Despite being cautious after so many recalls of Chinese goods recently, I realize there's no way we would be able to eliminate Chinese products without a great deal of hassle or expense. Buying locally raised foods helps keep that concern to a minimum. But besides that, you don't always know what ingredients are in the foods you purchase, as I was reminded by a segment on ABC World News.

They interviewed Sara Bongiorni, author of A Year Without "Made in China": One Family's True Life Adventure in the Global Economy. She convinced her family to go cold turkey on Chinese goods for a whole year, which meant giving up a lot of conviences and stocking up on Lego for the kids.

I'm not sure that we could do it. We'd probably go a little scatty before long. Though in a strange twist, despite things being more expensive on an individual basis, I'm guessing we might save money because of the limitations on the products we could actually buy. Hmmm...I think I'll start taking a closer look at the "made in ..." sticker to see the viability of this project.

On that note, I wonder where the book was made.

0 comments: