Thursday, July 5, 2007

Tips On Keeping Cool

I don't like hot weather. It makes me uncomfortable and cranky. At this time last year, I was very pregnant and the heat was my enemy. Though I'm usually the type to wear a sweater, I found myself warm all of the time. On my drive to work, I was so hot I had to open all of my car windows. I'm talking 65 degrees.
I'm glad I'm not pregnant now.

Real Simple has some quick tricks to cool down. Drinking enough fluids and eating light meals are a couple of tricks that keep me happy. Making sure your home is well insulated is also a great investment (e.g., thermal pane windows)

1) Try a desert trick
2) Block the sun
3) Make a makeshift air conditioner
4) Give your A/C some TLC
5) Close the fireplace damper
6) Close windows and doors whenever the outside air is hotter than the inside air
7) Fan strategically
8) Spritz yourself with cool water
9) Simultaneously run a fan and an air conditioner on low
10) Turn on the vent in the bathroom
11) Let your computer take a nap
12) Use a personal fan
13) Skip the drying cycle on the dishwasher
14) Dress right
15) Go barefoot
16) Eat spicy foods
17) Drink enough fluids
18) Eat light
19) Don't use your oven
20) Keep the lights off or change the bulbs
21) Don't use your clothes dryer
22) Make a cold compress
23) Take a mental getaway (e.g., read a book about cool weather)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Q: I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?

A: Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's it... Don't waste them on exercise. Everything wears out eventually. Speeding up your heart will not make you live longer; that's like saying you can extend the life of your car by driving it faster. Want to live longer? Take a nap.