Thursday, July 19, 2007

Unknown Area Codes...Not Any More

Sometimes, when we're finishing dinner or getting ready for bath & bed time, we get random calls that show up as blocked numbers or from unknown area codes. It's usually a telemarketer that we have a prior relationship with or a non-profit organization, meaning they're not subject to the Do Not Call registry. We pretty much don't answer any more, especially if the call looks suspicious. However, if the area code does show up, the curiosity can be maddening.

Lifehacker's tip on finding the location of an area code will surely come in handy.

Type the 3-digit area code into google's search engine. The first item should be the name of the area with a link to a map.

Excellent!

You might think "old news, Meta Mommy. What rock have you been hiding under?" Well, to you I say "whatever, I know now." Yes, I've been searching the hard way, and I'll leave it at that. No, I don't call the operator...any more.

How about this? Did you know about this search tool which helps pinpoint phone locations where area codes cover large areas?

Anyway, if you didn't know, enjoy. And if you did, why didn't you tell me sooner?

0 comments: