Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Giving Peas A Chance

Oh, peas. I loved peas as a kid. I loved eating them one by one, which is perhaps why I didn't break 50 lbs until I was 12. I was a slooooooow eater. But I only ever had them as peas. As an adult, and especially as a fan of Nigella Lawson, I've found there are many, many other ways to prepare peas. This is only exaggerated because my husband loves peas, mint, and any combination thereof.

Mushy Peas
Pea, Mint, and Avocado Salad
Chicken & Pea Soup
Petits Pois a la Francaise
Peas Portuguesa

And once, I had a salad with pea tendrils sprinkled on top. I wasn't too sure about it at the time, but its delicious simplicity has haunted me over the years.

The funny thing to me is that when we first started feeding our son solids, he was very resistant. After a while, he slowly became more accepting of food, but pureed pears and peas were the only foods he actually liked. Currently, peas are still the *sugar* in the foods that might otherwise be *medicine*. Maybe that'll change over time, though I'm hoping not. We're all working pretty hard to make sure that doesn't happen.


In homage to the challenges we all face in feeding our little ones, Apples 'n' Oranges' giveaway.

1 comments:

Lara said...

Great post - thanks for entering the contest! Good luck :)